Skip to main content

How to Love Your Job Again

5 tips and tricks to love your job
Blogged while listening to 90's R&B in my backyard lounge. 
Today's blog is inspired by my current feelings right at this instant and should not be taken as an exaggeration of an all-encompassing unhappiness for my job. While I am interacting with my students and coworkers, I am generally happy. However, there has been a creeping dislike for the direction and morale that is currently engulfing my place of work. In trying to self-reflect, I have put the blame on my Sagittarius qualities of having too many interests, becoming bored too easily, and a great need for challenges and growth opportunities. All of these qualities are surfacing and in my current state of emotions are not being placated by my job, to no fault of my job, of coarse. In an article of the Best and Worst Careers for a Sagittarius, teaching has always been a calling for Sagis. So one would think that I'm in my ideal situation, right? NOPE. I keep having to work at loving what I do. I'm still in the current struggle of managing my resentment towards my job and loving what I do, but I figured I'd come up with some ways to love my job again and share. My feeling is to just get up and walk away, however, I do know that when I am happy, my job brings great value to my life. So here's me trying to go from glum to back at being the bomb!
FROM:

TO:

1. Focus on the WHY. I knew that I wanted to teach so that I had the opportunity to help students grow and gain a love of learning. The WHY I teach is what keeps me pushing through even the toughest days. I teach to inspire. I teach to help. I teach to share love. I teach to laugh. I teach to have fun. If I can impart any of those to my students, then I can say I've had a good day. All the other b.s. of grading, meetings, lesson planning, etc. is the least of why I do what I do. I genuinely care for my students and want to help them prepare to be good, happy, and problem solving people in the future. 

2. Focus on the POSITIVES. As a teacher, I love my days off, summers, breaks, etc. I love that everyday the experiences I have are new with each class. I have great coworkers and direct administration that I get along with and can have fun with. My students really are well mannered young-adults and that gives me hope that they will be genuinely good people. I feel that I am respected and valued by my colleagues and those are things that make me happy at work. By focusing on all of these positives, it allows me to focus on being happy. 

3. Give yourself some SPACE. I must admit that I can become a workaholic. In the beginning of the school year I spent every waking hour during the week working. It usually takes me a couple of months to get a grip, and find a better work life balance. I must admit that since I have grown a partial unhappiness at work, I have put some space between myself and it. I refuse to work on the weekends (for the most part at least since I did spend the majority of my Saturday watching TV and grading papers). I make sure that I spend time doing things that I enjoy, like blogging. So now, when I get home, instead of getting on the computer to lesson plan or grade, I get on the computer the blog. Another way I give myself space is that I no longer hoard sick days. If a trip/vacation opportunity comes up, I do not hesitate to take a personal/sick day to enjoy myself. Overworking myself can cause sickness, so why not take preventative measures for my health and enjoy a trip here and there. I'm going to take a day off to go to Disney with my girlfriends next week and I am taking a couple of days off in a couple of months to attend my cousin's wedding out of state. Even with my workaholic personality, I am more than happy now focusing on what's important, and that is enjoying life and taking full advantage of vacations. This does not mean however that I neglect my job, nor my professional development. I do all that is required of me and I constantly skim and share articles that may improve my place of work. I think that I have just put more emphasis on my personal development. 

4. Be PICKY. I was always a "yes man". I'm reliable and dependable and I always do what is asked of me by my bosses, and am always willing to help a coworker. However, I have seen that being a "yes man" has lead people to automatically lean on me causing unnecessary stress on me by taking on things that didn't actually add value to my life. I have learned how to say "No",  "I don't have extra time to help you at this moment", or "This person is really knowledgeable about that topic, or has a really great idea, why don't you talk to them?".  Now I can focus on projects that will help me become a better teacher for my students, and if not a burden, I can share those things I've learned with my fellow teachers. I am more intentional about how I spend my time, and it has been a deal of difference. 

5. Surround yourself with coworkers that LOVE THEIR JOBS. It is too easy to surround yourself with people that are also unhappy with their jobs. If the morale is down, it is too easy for your misery to find company. However, a cost of surrounding yourself with other like-minded negative people is you spiraling further into disdain towards your job. Surround yourself with people that are positive about their jobs. It's worth working with that ambitious new employee, or becoming a mentor to a new hire and letting their energy and positivity rub off on you. Work with and learn from those incomers who have that fire in them to do great things. If there's no one at your job that loves their job, find a friend or family member that loves what they do and let that spark inspire you to focus on reigniting the spark within you. 


If you liked this article, please subscribe and follow my future posts. 

With this I leave you all, in our concurrent journeys to find happiness. Please let me know how you love your job, or what you plan to do to love your job again. Always in Service - Dania Borrero. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Proctoring Midterms Leads to Journaling

In a "teacher's" world at the end of 2015, we are called and challenged to change the way we teach our students, in order to develop future leaders of the world that is going to look far different than the one we currently live in. As I sit and proctor students taking midterms, I realize that what I have just done, because of the directive of only what has been done, is in no way shape or form, encouraging students to be creative, innovative, or forward thinkers. I have asked them to remember what they have learned, answer questions on a sheet of paper, and apply it to a scenario that means nothing to them, but a grade on a test.  A self-imposed (and not so self-imposed by the message others in the field are sending)  challenge proposed by our future way of teaching is not overcome due to my own limitations based off of norms for what has been required when giving students midterms to test their knowledge. What would accomplish meeting and surpassing that challenge w

How to WoW students

One of the most wonderful sounds I've been able to hear is my students say "Wow", "Cool", "It worked!".  A couple of weeks ago I was so ecstatic that I was able to hear those delightful words from quite a few of my students as they walked into the room. What brought this surprise? Let me explain... A few weeks before, I had decided to change the course in which my class usually was executed. From a flipped classroom, I decided to take the focus on learning information because I, their teacher, gave it to them, and put that focus on them learning information and executing labs that they wanted to do. I felt that they could take ownership of their learning, open their minds and create a love of learning. I did this in the hopes that this would bring in those students that were otherwise disconnected and not focused. Some of it worked, some of it didn't, and I've decided to keep on this idea of creating a love of learning for all, but since this

A Teacher's Plan after Winter Break

Today's posts is about another out of the blue, inspired topic. What inspired me this time? Not on a very positive note, but I've been calling it (for dramatic effect) "that horrible thing that happens tomorrow." Going back to work to teach early Monday morning after a 2 week winter vacation is not really a bad thing, and I'm excited to try out some new ideas, however, the reality is, sleeping all day, eating whatever/whenever I'd like, binge watching TV, watching movies (Star Wars of coarse and Daddy's Home for comedic relief), and hanging out with family and friends was really very nice. Here are a couple of pictures of my husband and I in our celebratory elements. A few nights ago, I was telling my husband how my sleep cycle is out of "wack" because of my vacation. I explained to him that I needed to go to sleep early and wake up early to prepare for "that horrible thing that happens on Monday."  I have yet