Skip to main content

What Genre of Books Do You Read?

5 tips and tricks to find what genre of books you'd like to read
Blogged while stuffing my face with some good Sunday night pizza night pizza as my husband plays video games. 
Today's post ties in to my 2017 reading goals. When I was younger, I loved murder mysteries/revenge/vampire novels. I remember reading Iris Johanson's "The Ugly Duckling" in high school and loving it. I had decided that murder mysteries what genre I liked to read, and anything else was pretty boring. Give me a great Twilight series, and I'm in. I couldn't imagine reading someone's biography or a historical nonfiction novel. BORING!!! As an avid reader though, sometimes it takes another person, or situation to put a great book in your hand to realize that there is so much out there. Who knew that I would love reading transcendentalist authors such as Emerson, Thoreau or Fuller, but after visiting Walden Pond in the stillness of its frozen covering, I immersed  myself in some of their great essays and short stories. I now realized that I actually am interested in an abundant amount of genres and as I have become older, have swayed to the side of nonfiction rather than them gold ol' murder mysteries. Game of Thrones is another one that is a little out there of range of books that I didn't think I'd enjoy, but I must admit that I have enjoyed following the long journey that is reading the GOT series. Here are 5 tips and tricks to find what genre of books you'd like to read. 

1. Join a Challenge. There are tons of challenges that you can follow, and Pinterest has a plethora of reading challenges you can follow. Goodreads also has challenges through their platform. My own personal challenge is to read 20 books this year. So far, I haven't even finished one. I can't wait until I'm done with the enormity that is GOT books. 

2. Join A Book Club. At working I was introduced to nonfiction historical analysis by reading Killing Kennedy, which led me to read Killing Lincoln and Killing Jesus. We also read Gone Girl, and it took me back to my suspense reading days, but again nothing that I may have picked out for myself. You can create a book club with your coworkers, friends, or find a virtual book club on social media like this on facebook or meet ups. You never know what you'll end up reading that you'll love.

3. Pick a book from the different sections of the library. Instead of paying for a genre of book that you may not know whether you like it or now, use the different sections of the library to pick out books and see if they tickle your fancy. Don't have time to go to the actual library (which I would make time for because who doesn't love the smell and feel of a good book?), use OverDrive which is your digital library. You may need your library number, so attaining a library card at the library for the first time may be required, but it seems you can log using your facebook account. 

4. Host a book-swap party with your friends. One Good Thing by Jillee has posted on how to host a book-swap party. It is great for decluttering, reading a variety of books you may not have read before, and gives you time to socialize and discuss good reads with your friends. 

5. Ask for suggestions. Go ahead. Put a question out on your social media feeds - "What books do you recommend?" Ask your coworkers or friends what they are reading. I have received some great recommendations from friends who also love to read. At work, teachers and administrators display what they are currently reading on our doors to promote reading to the students. It's great to be able to ask them their opinions on what they are reading and get some good ideas for my next book. Be open and willing to try new things. Don't go for a recommendation if that book is the same genre that you usually read. Step out of your comfort zone and give others a chance. 



Let me know of any book recommendations you have of any genre! I am currently reading Book 4 of Game of Thrones and have to get through Book 5. They are tenuous and long, have some parts that you have to drudge through, but I enjoy it's connections and insight on characters thoughts and emotions. It's great conversation for those who love the show to compare notes and differences from the book to the show. Let me know what you think!
Happy Reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to WoW students

One of the most wonderful sounds I've been able to hear is my students say "Wow", "Cool", "It worked!".  A couple of weeks ago I was so ecstatic that I was able to hear those delightful words from quite a few of my students as they walked into the room. What brought this surprise? Let me explain... A few weeks before, I had decided to change the course in which my class usually was executed. From a flipped classroom, I decided to take the focus on learning information because I, their teacher, gave it to them, and put that focus on them learning information and executing labs that they wanted to do. I felt that they could take ownership of their learning, open their minds and create a love of learning. I did this in the hopes that this would bring in those students that were otherwise disconnected and not focused. Some of it worked, some of it didn't, and I've decided to keep on this idea of creating a love of learning for all, but since this

When Proctoring Midterms Leads to Journaling

In a "teacher's" world at the end of 2015, we are called and challenged to change the way we teach our students, in order to develop future leaders of the world that is going to look far different than the one we currently live in. As I sit and proctor students taking midterms, I realize that what I have just done, because of the directive of only what has been done, is in no way shape or form, encouraging students to be creative, innovative, or forward thinkers. I have asked them to remember what they have learned, answer questions on a sheet of paper, and apply it to a scenario that means nothing to them, but a grade on a test.  A self-imposed (and not so self-imposed by the message others in the field are sending)  challenge proposed by our future way of teaching is not overcome due to my own limitations based off of norms for what has been required when giving students midterms to test their knowledge. What would accomplish meeting and surpassing that challenge w

A Teacher's Plan after Winter Break

Today's posts is about another out of the blue, inspired topic. What inspired me this time? Not on a very positive note, but I've been calling it (for dramatic effect) "that horrible thing that happens tomorrow." Going back to work to teach early Monday morning after a 2 week winter vacation is not really a bad thing, and I'm excited to try out some new ideas, however, the reality is, sleeping all day, eating whatever/whenever I'd like, binge watching TV, watching movies (Star Wars of coarse and Daddy's Home for comedic relief), and hanging out with family and friends was really very nice. Here are a couple of pictures of my husband and I in our celebratory elements. A few nights ago, I was telling my husband how my sleep cycle is out of "wack" because of my vacation. I explained to him that I needed to go to sleep early and wake up early to prepare for "that horrible thing that happens on Monday."  I have yet